As part of our mission, Frannie Peabody Center is committed to meeting the housing and residential needs of people living with HIV/AIDS in Maine. HOPWA, Frannie Peabody Center’s statewide housing assistance program funded by the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development, provides long-term housing subsidies, short-term rental assistance, and mortgage and utility assistance to low-income people living with HIV/AIDS. Frannie Peabody Center proudly partners with fellow HIV/AIDS service providers across the state to ensure housing needs are met.

Stable, affordable housing is fundamental for people with HIV/AIDS to receive life-saving medical and support services and decrease the likelihood of exposing

others to infection.

Importance of Housing

Housing Assistance

  • People living with HIV/AIDS may be eligible for short-term financial assistance with rent, mortgage, and utility payments to help maintain stable housing.

  • Rental subsidies are available through the Tenant-based Rental Assistance (TBRA) program.


HOPWA assistance is available for low-income Maine residents living with HIV/AIDS who meet application requirements and income guidelines.

People utilizing U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) assistance, such as, Section 8, Shelter + Care, SHP and SRO Mod Rehab,

are not eligible for HOPWA services.

Contact Information

If you are interested in short-term financial assistance for housing expenses, contact your case manager to complete the appropriate paperwork. If you do not have an HIV case manager, contact us at:


Outside Cumberland and York counties, contact your local AIDS Service Organization (ASO). Locate an ASO in your area.